The team got loads done this week at the YWCA! we started Monday by finishing the digging for the columns’ footings. We had to combat the rain, but the weather cooperated and we were able to pass our footing inspection. At AB tech, we had to disassemble our rafter sandwiches we had prefabricated in order to get a coat of stain on them. We also cut the proper angles on our shared columns that would support the rafters and girders. In the metal department, we were able to drill the pilot holes for the bolts that would eventually secure the columns to the stair’s retaining wall
Tuesday, the team was able position the columns in our newly dug footings and leveled them with braces. We also continued painting and staining on the stair columns and rafters. By the afternoon, everything was ready for concrete, and we poured and used wheelbarrows to set our columns’ footings.
Wednesday, we continued work on-site with painting and staining, as well as putting up the girders in the pavilion. The team also kept on plugging away at the columns, and got the holes for the threaded rod drilled, and epoxied the rods in place.
Thursday, the team caught up on a bit of the design work relating to the bench and table. Our locust lumber was picked up from our craigslist contact, and taken to The Old Wood Co. to be planed and dimensioned. We also finalized our roof layout and overhang, and placed the order.
Friday was all hands on deck as we finished up more staining, rafter placement, and column placement along the stairs. We really accomplished a lot, but will need to strive ahead in order to stay on schedule for the August 8th ribbon cutting.