Mission Accomplished!

The Ribbon has been cut and the Beehive is officially open for visitors! As the design-build team celebrated and said their goodbyes to the project, The YWCA’s staff and students will now begin to experience, enjoy, and utilize the Pavilion and stair coverings.



The team did great the morning of the ribbon cutting by finishing up some of the last minute details such as completing the pavilion columns by applying the 2×8’s and assembling the locust table. It was planned that the kids would come out and help assemble the put-in-cup honeycombs, but do to the rainy weather, that did not happen. Though the weather was rainy, we could not have asked for a better forecast to help us showcase the project. It was what it was built for! As visitors began to trickle in, the structure performed just as it was meant to, and naturally funneled everybody to the gathering space in pavilion. We could not have asked for more from the flexi-pave, as it drank up all the water faster than the roof could shed it. The official ceremony went over great, with many of our family and friends present to see our summer’s hard work!


The YWCA then held a small reception for everyone with a gift bag, cake, and final thank you for all of the hard work! The Design-Build team then took a lunch break and met back up at YWCA later to finish cleaning up and installing the put-in-cup honeycombs. I know I speak for the whole team when I say that the ten weeks we spent in Asheville this summer was truly an awesome experience. We all learned and experienced so much and were able to do so with great team members. It was such a satisfying experience to deliver a project to an organization that does so much for the surrounding community, and I’m sure we will all look forward to visiting the beehive at the YWCA of Asheville years down the road!


Finally, please check out some of the in progress and finished images from photographer Meg Riley. Thanks again, to the YWCA and the Asheville Design Center for this incredible opportunity.





Racing the Clock

The team finishes the major framing components of the covered stair and pavilion to meet our critical path milestones. With the weather on our side, we were unsure if we would complete the framing in time to install metal roofing on Monday.

Thanks to forewoman Serena & foreman Clarke, the team was motivated to work 11 hour days on site all week. With a little bit of sushi, birthday cake, and chocolate chip pumpkin muffins, we were able to bring the design to life:





Metal Shop Madness

Here are a few photos from the metal shop at Soda Fab! Shawn Oldham is helping us weld up some honeycomb themed benches (6!) and tables (one big long one) to place under the pavilion and at the top and bottom of the covered stair at YWCA. Wish us luck, we want them finished by Monday morning. Clarke, Monica, and Miriam worked hard to cut, grind, and weld the supports and carry out the truly collaborative design process. Go W!20140730-235712-86232552.jpg





We’re vertical!

The team got loads done this week at the YWCA! we started Monday by finishing the digging for the columns’ footings. We had to combat the rain, but the weather cooperated and we were able to pass our footing inspection. At AB tech, we had to disassemble our rafter sandwiches we had prefabricated in order to get a coat of stain on them. We also cut the proper angles on our shared columns that would support the rafters and girders. In the metal department, we were able to drill the pilot holes for the bolts that would eventually secure the columns to the stair’s retaining wall


Tuesday, the team was able position the columns in our newly dug footings and leveled them with braces. We also continued painting and staining on the stair columns and rafters. By the afternoon, everything was ready for concrete, and we poured and used wheelbarrows to set our columns’ footings. 


Wednesday, we continued work on-site with painting and staining, as well as putting up the girders in the pavilion. The team also kept on plugging away at the columns, and got the holes for the threaded rod drilled, and epoxied the rods in place.


Thursday, the team caught up on a bit of the design work relating to the bench and table. Our locust lumber was picked up from our craigslist contact, and taken to The Old Wood Co. to be planed and dimensioned. We also finalized our roof layout and overhang, and placed the order.


Friday was all hands on deck as we finished up more staining, rafter placement, and column placement along the stairs. We really accomplished a lot, but will need to strive ahead in order to stay on schedule for the August 8th ribbon cutting.